Thursday, August 23, 2012

Support Systems, Asking for Help, & Cheerleaders!

While having CF is stressful and challenging, the support from our loved ones can make a significant impact on our quality of life. Those we surround ourself with can encourage or discourage us, and thus may play a pivotal role during our healing process.

I feel very fortunate to have an incredible support system in my life. My loved ones have encouraged me to reach for my dreams, have lifted my spirits when I felt defeated, have held my hand when I was scared, have wiped away my tears when sad, and have brightened my day when I needed it most. Additionally, these very same family members have always ensured to let me know they will help me any time I need it and have never made me feel like a burden. As someone with CF, who needs much more help at home than your average person, I hate asking for help. This is when my support system steps in and says, "No. You need to rest. Let me do this for you." Sometimes admitting I need help feels like defeat. But when my loved ones ride in on their white horses to help me, my body sighs in relief (mental happy dance! Woo!).

                                         I Love Cheerleaders!

My loved ones have been my cheerleaders throughout my journey with CF. They are here to celebrate with me when life is going well, and here to help get me back on my feet after CF knocks me down. I find that when I am sick and asking for help I tend to say, "I am sorry for asking you this, but will you _____ for me?" I know I do not need to apologize for asking for help, but I can't help it. Everyone I know is carrying around their own stress and when I add my needs to their load, I worry that it will become too much for them. My only hope is that they all know just how much I love and appreciate them in addition to being grateful for their compassion and generosity. I love my cheerleaders, especially when their pom-poms come in the form of a home cooked meal.

                                     CF Support Groups

Another great support system is support within the CF community. With the exception of a few people, my experience with other CFers has been positive, uplifting, encouraging, and informative. I truly enjoy being on Skype, texting, and FB chatting with my Cysters. These women are the most amazing group of women I have ever met! In addition to beautiful friendships blossoming, great recipes (maybe I shouldn't write this blog at dinner time, food is on my brain), vast information about personal experience with CF, and funny bathroom jokes, some of you have become my personal heroes.

                                      To the Caregiver(s):

If you find yourself wondering what you can do to help someone you love who is dealing with a chronic illness look no farther than your average daily tasks: taking the dogs outside, making a simple meal, offering to rent a movie, offering to go sit with your loved one just for company, offering to make a donation to the foundation which funds research for their illness, picking up groceries, or offering to ride with your loved one to a doctor's appointment. Though these all seem like simple things, they are not easily accomplished by someone who is not feeling well.
 
                                          To the Patient:

Ask for help when you need it and ensure your family and friends know how grateful you are for their kindness. Surround yourself with positive people and those who have an open heart and mind when you need to talk about your feelings, fears, and concerns. If someone tries to make you feel bad for talking about your physical suffering or isn't interested in your problems then it's time to distance yourself from that person. Never feel like you have to hide a huge part of your life from others, especially your CF. Those who love you will always want to be "in the know" when it comes to your mental and physical health and will be in line to help you when you need it. There will be peaks and valleys, but having those you love most at your side will make the valleys less difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment